Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Carrera marble kitchen counters sealers

Hi.  I live in Mexico. The house I bought four years ago has what I
have been told are Carrera marble countertops.  Because it's impossible
to live in Mexico without using limes and to give parties without
margaritas being spilled on the counter, in the past 4 years the top
has become covered in white rings and globs.  I recently paid a marble
worker to completely sand the countertop.  He then applied a thick
acrylic clear substance called "Sellacril--Perdera Sallador Acrilico" 
Obviously, a Mexican product.  The end result was distastrous.  The
coating is clear but also streaky and uneven.  I was told that now the
counter was impermeable to lime or lemons, but the first time I used
them they somehow ate through the acrylic and--etched into the marble
again.
Is there anything I could do do make them impermeable?  Or,
alternately, do you have any advice about applying the acrylic so it
isn't so streaky?  Can it be thinned and brushed on using many coats? 
They only did one.  Spraying isn't an option as we can't take the
counters off.
Do you have any products to coat it with that would be better?
In case you are thinking about suggesting that I become a neater cook
and that guests refrain from spilling margaritas, I have to say that
this is not an option.....

Thanks very much.  Judy

No comments: