Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Totally frustrated with maintenance!

We had Black Pearl granite countertops installed about a month ago. Our fabricator/installer said the stone was sealed. When asked about how to clean, or maintenance, he indicated just wipe with a dish cloth. Sounded simple enough.

Well, now I have cloudiness around the sink area...where I do dishes, etc. So I go online to find out what to do about it and I am totally frustrated with the amount of contradictory information that is out there. Here are some examples:

-Black granites don't need to be sealed...if yours is sealed it can cause problems

-You need to use a stone cleaner

-I only use soap and water and mine look great!

-Using dish soap is the problem

Reading through the endless information on findstone.com I read about different cleaners that are available. I decided to contact the granite supplier and ask about maintence, thinking maybe I could buy something locally. I'm told that they usually recommend soap and water.

I don't understand why there isn't concrete information about the care of stone. It's unbelievable!

So now I have done a bunch of research and wasted hours of time and am no closer to a solution.

If any one has any information that they think would be helpful, I'd love to hear it.

No comments: