Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Ubatuba spot polished dull

Please read, what would you do if you had this happen to you? I have no luck =(
So my granite counter top is finally installed. The only problem is that there is a crack in the sink cut out near the cabinet edge. The installer (Alvaro Lopez) told me that the crack happened during the elevator ride to my apartment. I'm not sure I believe him because I was there the whole time and the slab never hit anything, or was dropped, or bumped,or even moved rapidly in any way, but lets just say that's what happened. I do have to mention though, that the installation was delayed by a few days because, all of the sudden, Alvaro decided that the granite needed to have metal re-enforcing bars installed underneath the slab to give it extra support, you know.... just in case. Was this a result of having cracked the slab at the shop during the cutting process and deciding it was too dangerous to transport the cracked slab to my apartment and have the piece break completely on him while moving it around? Well, we will never know because he only pointed out the crack as soon as we got off the elevator and as we were pushing the slab on the cart to my apartment. What an eagle eye he has, to be able to spot a hairline crack all of the sudden in the hallway while in motion pushing cart with the slab on it. I'm sure he never knew it was there!....right. If it sounds fishy to you, your not alone, but anyway back to my dilema.

The problem is not that Alvaro cracked the slab while cutting and moving it around at the shop, and then blamed it on having to move it in the elevator. The problem is that he tried to fix it by putting epoxy on it, and then acid, and the polishing it, and a bunch of other stuff, waxes, etc. He has been to my apartment three times and these are the photos I took after his last visit. I'm starting to get just a little worried that he doesn't have the slightest clue on what he's doing. Whats worse is that I just read that Ubatuba granite does not have to be sealed and that's what his next brilliant idea is when he comes back on Tuesday and applies 511 sealer on it, so that then I will have to strip off the sealer with noxious paint strippers when he finds out that it didn't work either. I need a true professional, please help me!
I also read that granite should not be spot polished. So basically my granite that I'm supposed to pay $1,250 for is ruined. It will never look like it does when it comes out of the big polishing machines that leave it the way its supposed to look. So my question
is; Is there a way to fix this problem or what kind of discount will I get for this glaring defect? I can't believe that the stone can't be polished to make it look like the rest of the stone which is beautiful. I still owe $625 an am unwilling to pay until I get this problem solved, or get some discount to hire a professional to do it.

Very truly yours,
Jorge Sanchez

PS: Link to my doomed scenario of spot polishing:
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Blemishes_on_Granite_Countertops.html



No comments: