Friday, July 31, 2009

Questions

I have a number of burning questions after reading the question and answer site.

1. I've been reading (after purchase) that using limestone in the home is not recommended. I just purchased over 2000 sq ft. for the floor, including kitchen and bathrooms I was under the impression, however, that all limestones are not created equally. I purchased one from the Turek limestone collection (sold by Marble Systems) called "Golden Ruby". Know anything about this particular limestone? Should I slash my wrist now?

2. Looks like the best thing I could do with it would be to have installer clean with muriatic acid to take some polish off -- is that correct?

3. What about butt joints vs. a small joint? What is recommended? (I read something that made me think there was something not-so-great about butt joints.) It's an 18" x 18" limestone.

4. I'm considering honed or brushed Atlantic Black "granite" for kitchen counter. In general, it seems that this could be a maintenance nightmare, but I have a few questions. What would be the "best" finish? Honed or brushed? It is warned to "enrich" rather than to use and impregnator sealer. I'm confused by this because there are "enrichment sealers". Our neighbors used an enriching sealer on their travertine and we left red wine on it all night and there was no stain. Anything wrong with using an enrichment-type sealer on Atlantic Black honed/brushed?

Thanks, Linda

No comments: