Monday, July 27, 2009

salt build up on sandstone

  In Boulder CO I built a labyrinth outside my church of two colors of sandstone.
  Before completion, I gave the sandstone a penetrating treatment of breathable stain proofing by an Australian company called Dry Treat..
On top of that I applied a thin coat of J25 Arcylic sealer by Dayton Hudson.

I am satisfied that the penetrating sealer did its job because there is no efflouresence. However, the J25 causes me trouble because I think it's bonding with the de-icing salts that our custodian has to put on the labyrinth when it's snowy. The lab is only 2 years old now and its color has faded from deep red sandstone to a chalky pink. In time it may look a shirt cardboard. Look at the web address I gave, you'll see.

The good news for now is that the lab seems to match the color of the surrounding low walls made of chiseled sandstone --- still I want to know how to strip away that built up salt junk.
I am not keen on using acetone all over the lab for several reasons. I have tried vinegar with no progress.
anything else?
By the way, power washing could make me nervous -- the perimeter of the labyrinth is composed of engraved stones. I could not give them the full dose of power pressure as the rest of the lab.
I would be most pleased if you come back with a terrific chemical solution!
Anne Butterfield

Anne Farr Butterfield.
findstone2006-09-12 16:14:09

No comments: