Saturday, April 17, 2010

Dilemna in stone selection

Dear Sir/Madam (s),

I live in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India which is a very dusty city. Maintenance of granite and marble would be too difficult and I do not like the texture of polished granite or marble. Other members of my family like it though, so we may go in for granite or marble in the living room but such polished stone would look out of place in my bedrooms and dining room. I have the following questions:

1. Is there any limestone or any other stone which is available in India and looks like travertine? I was considering Shahbad yellow from Andhra. Would it last and would it look good? Does it have a smooth surface? Vendors here recommend only granite, marble and kota stone. I don't want to go in for kota as it is too dark.

2. I have a small living room (size: 22' x 12'). In such a room, would marble/ granite look good or for maximum impact, we need a larger area?

3. Vendors here say that marble/ granite don't need sealers. Aren't they wrong? If I were to apply sealer, would it be before or after installation? Which is the best quality sealer available here in India?

4. Vendors here do not recommend slate for flooring because they feel that they will break. Is it true?

5. Installers here have not heard about grouting with adhesives. Which is the best grouting adhesive available here?

6. Does granite with a riven finish become difficult to maintain?

It would be wonderful if you will answer these questions.

Thank you.

No comments: