Sunday, August 30, 2009

Stone selection advice please...

Hi and thank you for this wonderful forum! Figuring out what to put on my kitchen countertops (we are very hard on our kitchen) has been amazingly complex. While I love marble and soapstone, I am leaning towards granite because it seems to be very tolerant of abuse (we're really good about cutting boards and trivets, but who knows what might get spilled and go unnoticed - little kids zooming around), but I don't like the high shine of the polished granite. I would very much like your advice based upon my preferences:
 
1) color - black - dark gray/green (I like Virginia Mist, Verde San Francisco slabs I've seen online for example)
2) finish - I would like a less shiny surface. For example I love the way oiled soapstone looks, but I worry about chips and scratches. I would like more of a satin finish. Is there such a thing and if so is there a better (I've read all the honed Absolute Black nightmares) color, grade, type of granite for honing or getting to a more satin finish? What type of maintenance would a a satin finish require? 
3) fabricator/distributor - how do you choose a reliable fabricator/distributor? Can you recommend any around Charlotte,NC?
4)stone - Is granite my best choice given the above??
 
Thank you in advance for time and I look forward to your response.
 
Amanda

No comments: