Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Arizona Sandstone

I am thinking of paving my front porch with Arizona sandstone, to be placed on top of an existing cement porch. I notice that it is very grainy and tends to shed grains of sands when rubbed. And it is extremely porous, and will leave a reddish trace on your hands after water is applied and it is rubbed.

So, as a front porch material, will I have to guard against people tracking red sand into the house? is that really a problem? And does its high porousness make it more susceptible to erosion and breaking down after installation?

I assume it will stain fairly easily. Should I treat it with anything to prevent against staining?

And finally, will it get slippery when wet? It seems to be non-slip, but a good rain might make it slippery/

I do not live in the Southwest. I live in Maryland, but I love the stone and would love to use it. I am just not sure that it would be the right choice.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

No comments: