Monday, November 30, 2009

granite crack

[QUOTE=myron]    I just had ubatuba granite installed in my kitchen. My question is: on an island piece 4' X 7' there is a green discolored area 2" X 4" and within this area there is a crack that you can feel with your finger nail, is this to be expected and will there be any additional cracking in this area?

Thank you! Myron
[/QUOTE]
 
Hi there Myron,
 
Incidently, I just had a look at our Ubatuba in the workshop as I wanted to confirm what my first thoughts were - this being that Ubatuba commonly has fissures within.
 
Now, when I ran my finger over the fissures, I noticed that it was possible to feel the fissure, as if it were a small crack.
 
Normally when the stone is quarried and cut into slabs, the stone is sealed with a resin and then polished - this process tends to remove most of these cracks / fissures, but sometimes there are a few left that have the characteristic you mentioned.
 
In my opinion, thes cracks should not get any worse and commonly many of the suppliers of granite try to remove these from the stone prior to purchase, but there are occasions where this is not possible.
 
If you have a picture of the crack, I could have a look at what you are talking about and see if it looks like a fissure.
 
Of course, there are occasions when the stone has got cracks and in these cases, the stone should not be sold to the public without prior warning, but I suppose there could be some suppliers that still sell this without consumer awareness. 
 
I hope this helps and if you do have an image, it would be nice to see!
 
As far as the discolouring is concerned, this I would have to see also.
 
Ciao ciao Smile
 

No comments: