Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Granite Pool Coping

Hi Folks:

I wish I had found this forum a few weeks ago! We bought a house a couple of years ago that came with an in-ground swimming pool -- something I know very little about! It is in sad shape -- no question the coping, tiling, and entire deck needs replacing. We contracted with the company that maintains the pool to first get the coping and tile replaced. As we talk to them about replacing the deck, I am starting to think we are in over our heads. (No pun intended).

I don't think our pool company is a ripoff -- they have been in business for 30 years, have won awards from the Pool and Spa Association, they do commercial pools, etc. It's just that maybe they are a bit upmarket for my budget.

First off, I am trying to find out if we are paying a high price for the coping and tile replacement. As I said, we have already paid a 50% deposit and signed the contract, so there is no going back from this portion of the work. But the deck is a huge job also, and I need to see  if we are paying more than we need to for the first phase, and if we should stay with this company.

Our pool is about 20 x 40, irregular -- about 125 linear feet. Our contractor is going to:
- drain pool
- chop out and remove existing coping and tile
- supply and install granite "mosaic" coping (looks like nice stone to me)
- supply and install 6 x 6 inch Italian Rock Face tile band
- apply caulk joint between coping and deck

That's all they're doing. Repainting and refilling pool is not included.

Total cost for the job is just under $15,000.

Does this sound reasonable? I should point out that we live in a very expensive part of the country, just outside New York City, and that as I said, I think they are a very good, very professional firm. Given that, what do folks think about what we are paying here? Should we stay with them for the decking repair? I can give those prices later.

Thanks so much for any help!

No comments: