Friday, May 15, 2009

I need solution for a disgusting brown stain?

 Thanks for your excellent advice on stone floors and countertops.  Wish I'd seen your advice before we got our slate floor at Christmas.  I love the look of our slate, which I'm guessing is of Indian origin (Lavender Harvest...which, as it turned out, looks great, but nothing at all like the floor on display in the showroom).  Having read this site I wish we'd gone with a North American gray/black slate like my sister had installed in two of her homes as it is very durable and maintenance-free.  Something tells me this Lavender Harvest stone is going to scratch, absorb spills and stain.  On the other hand, I'm thinking that our Black Galaxy countertop is going to do us well as I believe you mentioned somewhere that you installed that in your kitchen.  I'm learning from this site (albeit too late) that all slate is not the same and that "granite" is almost never granite. 
 I have another request: I need a solution for a disgusting brown stain that has been around the base of a bathroom commode on our terrazzo floor.  It has been there since before we moved in 28 years ago and I tried everything I knew to try, finally resorting to just using a bathroom rug cut around the commode to hide it.  Surely there is something I can try (a poultice?) that will be effective.  The terrazzo is going to come out in a remodel next year, but in the meantime I've thrown out the old rug and don't want to get another if something can be done to remove or lessen the stain.
 
Thanking you in advance and very much looking forward to a reply.
 
Respectfully,
Marty Proett.
 
findstone2006-05-31 17:51:29

No comments: