Monday, May 25, 2009

Inquiry on travertine

We moved into a condo unit (in the Philippines) which has an outdoor
balcony with travertine floors.  Over time, the floor turned very blotchy
and dirty-looking with gray and brownish spots everywhere.  Some parts of the floor turned gray on the seams (where the tiles meet).  I think this
could be water moisture from beneath but there is no way of knowing since taking the tiles out would be out of the question.  The small crevices or natural holes of the tiles are black, so from afar, the floor looks like
its been hit by black measles.  Even after scrubbing them with regular
detergent, the stains are not completely removed.   We notice the stains
get worse during the rainy season.  Also, the floor under a portable stone
fountain has turned completely gray.  The travertine used is not polished.
 I'm not sure if its honed as it looks raw to me versus the honed
travertine stones I have on my bathroom floor and polished travertine on
the bathroom walls w/c maintained quite well.  Our building maintenance
guys recommended us just to use an all-purpose cleaner like Maitre'D and
scrub the floors really hard with a floor brush.   Is that ok?  Do you
recommend that I fill the crevices with some sort of clear epoxy (after
cleaning them) that I can pick up from the hardware store or should I look
for some filler thats specifically made for travertine stones.

Thanks for your advice.

No comments: