Monday, May 25, 2009

Opinion on a wider grout.

I had a tumbled bronze travertine marble backsplash - 6 x 6 tiles - installed last week.
I told the installer that I wanted the grout joints very thin and not obvious - and also offered him to use the unsanded grout the stone supplier sold me when I bought the stone.
He told me there needed to be some width of grout joint because the tiles have irregular edges (which, to me ,seemed no big issue). He came the next day and his installation consisted of using sanded grout! with grount lines maybe 3/8" -and noticable (although thank god the color is close to the stone). To me, this guy just did the job the way he wanted to  do it - and although the stone looks good installed, it is not what I wanted installation-wise. Is this a common practice for the contractor to just go by his own guidelines of what he thinks is right??
It really aggravates me when I see stone installations w/o a noticable grout line like I wanted. My wife tells me to forget about it but I can't bewleive he did it that way.
Your opinion on the this. Did I NEED a wider grout because of that type of irregular stone?? Please advise

No comments: