Thursday, May 14, 2009

Limestone floor problems.

About four years ago I ordered limestone floor tiles from a dealer here in
Pittsburgh, Pa. The tiles and the installation for a 700 S.F. room were to
be done by the dealer on a trade for merchandise from my business. This was
part of an agreement from a Barter Network that we both belonged to. When
the tiles arrived, they did not look at all like the pale grey (almost
concrete) color of the sample. They were much more dirty looking and also
had lots of marks and stains (I guess). Because they had ordered them in a
non-cash deal, I accepted them because I did not want them to be stuck with
them. Also, they were really trying to sell me on keeping them and I
reluctantly submitted. Then when it came time to install them as part of the
agreement, new management was not happy about the trade agreement made by
former management. He put a real newcomer on the job and the final result
reflects that.

For four years I have lived there alone with the paper remaining on the
floor from when there was still remodeling going on. Finally a few weeks
ago, I took the paper off and it was as dirty looking as I remembered.
Definitely nowhere near the pale grey, concrete like clorthat I had ordered.
It is also very "dusty" or "chalky" under your feet, even though after the
installation, I did put a sealer on it myself. (It is not polished). My new
wife saw it and thought it was awful. Additionally the grout lines are very
wide because the installer told me that it couldn't be done with a small
grout joint.

My question is this:

1) Is there any thing that can be done to improve the look of this floor? I
know that it is very porous so I imagine staining, painting (even dark to
look like slate?) or acid etching it like people do with polished concrete
is out. Am I correct? Is there any way to change the look to what I desired
rather or something attractive rather than tearing the entire floor up and
laying down a new floor? Any advice would be much appreciated.Thanks.

Best regards,

Jeff Malkin.

No comments: